FEES & CHARGES
Within Australia’s aged care system, there are a few different fees you may be required to pay:
- RAD or DAP: Room price set by the aged care provider
- Daily Care Fee: set by the Australian Government
- Means Tested Care Fee: set by the Australian Government
- Other fees: set by the aged care provider
Not all fees necessarily apply to everyone, and while we can provide an outline to the different fees, we recommend you seek independent financial advice.
RAD and DAP
The room price for your accommodation can be paid as a lump sum (known as a Refundable Accommodation Deposit or RAD), a daily payment (known as a Daily Accommodation payment or a DAP) or a combination of the two. A RAD is guaranteed by the government and will generally be refunded to you or your estate shortly after you leave.
The Latvian Aged Care Facility has two room prices: $250,000 for a standard room and $300,000 for a larger room.
DAILY CARE FEE
The Basic Daily Care Fee, set at approximately 85% of the basic single pension, is paid by all residents of an aged care facility, including those on respite. The current Daily Care Fee from September 2017 is $49.42 and is indexed in line with the age pension in March and September each year.
The Daily Care fee includes:
- All meals, including morning and afternoon tea and supper.
- Provision of the emergency call button and maintenance of the system
- Staff assistance 24 hours a day
- Lighting, power
- Changing of bed linen and towels
- Laundry services
- Cleaning of resident’s rooms and the Home
- Referral to specialists as required
- Maintenance and repair of the Home and rooms
- Grounds Maintenance
MEANS TESTED CARE FEE
This is an additional contribution towards the cost of your care that some residents will be required to pay. The Department of Human Services (Centrelink) will work out if you are required to pay this fee based on an assessment of you income and assets, and will advise you of the amount. The Means Tested Care Fees are subject to an annual cap and a lifetime cap. The annual cap is $26,041.09 calculated from the day of entry into aged care and the lifetime cap is $62,948.66.
At the Latvian Aged Care Facility most services are covered by the Basic Daily Care Fee, but occasionally there may be a charge for additional services. Should you be required to pay for an additional service you will be informed of the details and the fees that apply.